Ideal Swap Partition Size

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 22 14:49:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 17:49 -0800, Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> Regarding swap files and intel architectures.  I believe swapping is
> not by pages, but by segment sizes, which is gruesome, because of
> performance.
>
> On other architectures, swap is actually a paging file and only the
> needed pages are swapped out.
>
> Even with a swap out, the program could still be in memory as the
> space was not reclaimed and thus, the program should not have to be
> swapped back in to be used.
I have always wanted to throw this in. We know that Unix (Linux) is a OS
that uses Virtual memory concepts. But where is the address memory that
is paged in and out of real memory. It is not in the swap partition.
swap is an old concept that implements roll in and roll out that existed
before OS were equipped with Virtual memory.

It is used too augment the processing of the Paging activities.