Kernel doesn't see battery on Dell Inspiron 6400

I revived this laptop by giving it a hard drive transplant, then loading F10 on it. Everything works, except for the battery meter. The kernel does not see the laptop's battery, and complains thusly:

ACPI: AC Adapter [AC] (on-line)
ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT0] (battery absent)

The battery is there. Although it's weak, and doesn't last long, it's there and it's functional.

If anyone has a working battery meter on this laptop, most likely using some ACPI kernel command line-fu, I'd like to know.