RAM question for everyone!

I was recently asked a question about how much RAM should there be
within a server given that the APP uses 8GB of Memory, should I buy
10Gig of memory and have a small harddrive and no swap space? Would
this configuration allow everything in my OS to run from RAM and not
from swap? If this is the case then there's no need to ever create
swap, is there?!?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Dan