Re: RAM question for everyone!

Gilboa Davara wrote:
Yeah, but this problem can more-or-less be avoided by
lowering /proc/sys/vm/swappiness.

Sure, that will make the VM more likely to evict pagecache data than anonymous pages when it's trying to free pages.

I haven't tested this to any real degree on my desktop boxes (as I don't really suffer too much from this with the setups that I run), does it give a significant benefit for this case?

I can imagine it would given that systems where I have seen problems like this have tended to seem a bit cache-heavy, but testing results are always good to hear.

Regards,
Bryn.