Yum Updates Sequence

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jan 24 05:37:06 UTC 2009

Rahul Tidke wrote:
> Hello,
>  Is it necessary to follow the order/sequence while installing the
> updates on Fedora?
Somewhat oversimplified: Yes.

More precisely, there exist packages-dependencies and an implicit
package-installation order packages must meet to be installed properly.

> I want to apply only selected updates from the
> available updates. Can I install updates in random order?
Yes, you can. Yum is supposed to take care of it.

"yum install <packagename>" rsp. "yum update <packagename>"
are supposed to pull-in all required packages in correct order
or to refuse and complain to install packages, in case some package
dependencies can not be met.

Ralf