pdf creation tool?

I would like to convert some old paper documentation to PDF in case I ever need it. I have the scan software, I can easily create an image of each page, or save the page in postscript or pdf. What I don't have is a simple tool which will easily allow me to put the pages into a single document, and possibly add an index so I can find things if needed.

Any suggestions? I can certainly live with what I have, I can get the information back for online reading or hard copy if needed, but it's ugly.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>