Gateway DX4720 installation problems

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Jan 25 18:13:06 UTC 2009

On Sunday 25 January 2009 17:46, Charles Landau wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
> > David Timms wrote:
> >
> > checkout:
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6611313
> >   last post for a potential fix.
>
> That was my post. Yes, I've worked around this problem by using the
> kernel option "noapic".
>
> The next problem is, it won't install in graphics mode, and once
> installed, it won't go into graphics mode. Apparently it is unhappy with
> the graphics processor on the DX4720-03.
>
> The F10 Live CD hangs up on a blank screen, which I suspect is also
> related to not being able to deal with the graphics processor.
>
> The DX4720-03 has an NVIDIA GeForce 7100 integrated graphics processor
> with shared memory.
>
> Does anyone know how to get this to work? Or do you have hints on
> diagnosing the problem?

Hi Charles.

I know on the machine I built with an Asus M2N-X Plus mobo, I have to use the
acpi=off option on the kernel line to install, and also the same acpi=off
option post install, in order to get the machine to bootup. Without the
acpi=off option, the machine would bootup as far as starting X, then freeze,
which required a hard reset.

That is with F8, F9, Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04,
Archlinux (Don't Panic), Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, and Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10. the
only 2 distros where I didn't have to append the kernel line, were 2 using
much earlier kernels, mainly Debian Etch, and Kubuntu Breezy.

The acpi=off option may not work for you, but is just a thought.

Nigel.