Re: How to set up a DNS server(at Home)

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:14:58 -0600,
>   "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel infinity-ltd com> wrote:
>> He may also find that dnsmasq, witch is in the repository
>> (dnsmasq-2.45-1.fc10.i386) may do the job, and is much simpler to
>> set up then bind.
> That's a forwarder isn't it?
> (When I was listing DNS server types I forgot to mention forwarders which
> can be used to selectively pass requests on to recursive resolvers either
> to provide local caching or to query different servers based on attributes
> of the request.)
It is a forwarder, caching name server, and a name server for the
local network all in one. It can also act as a DHCP server. It works
well for a home or small office. But it is not a full featured name
server. (Does a home network need one?)

From the man page:

Dnsmasq accepts DNS queries and either answers them from a small,
local, cache or forwards them to a real, recursive, DNS server. It
loads the contents of /etc/hosts so that local hostnames which do
not appear in the global DNS can be resolved and also answers DNS
queries for DHCP configured hosts.