"stale NFS file handle" problem

Both my F10 netbook and Mandriva 2009 laptop have nfs mounts to my home
directory and a data directory on my server.  A couple of hours ago I found
that I could not access the home directory, although the data directory is
still fine.  I was seeing messages about "stale NFS file handle".  On googling
I got the impression that the problem was at the client end, but it would be
really strange if both clients developed a problem at the same time.

I've really no idea where to look, to troubleshoot this.  All ideas welcome.

Anne