F10 Cups / Samba / Vista

Joel Gomberg obligor11-fedora at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 06:28:48 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 12:08 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 10:56 -0500, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
>>> the alternative that someone suggested about just making it a network
>>> printer and pointing to the http address for cups (bypassing samba)
>>> does work.  I'm just thinking that I might want to use this machine as
>>> a fileserver at some point and there's no need to use two points of
>>> entry if one works.
>> It's worth thinking about that putting Samba in between CUPS and remote
>> access to it, and you are putting an *extra* thing in the middle, *is*
>> complicating how printing works.
> ----
> sure, when you're talking about one system.
>
> also, experience tells me that things don't occur in isolation and
> eventually you figure out that whatever is broken also affects other
> things down the line that you haven't discovered yet.
>
> The theory here is fairly simple...If cups is functioning properly,
> computer can print. If samba is functioning properly, Windows computers
> can print to samba shared printer through cups. Since PCL drivers on
> Windows systems do not speak postscript, you must permit 'raw' printing
> to allow the PCL through to the printer unmolested by cups. It really
> isn't that complicated.

I've been experiencing a similar problem with my wife's new Vista computer.  The
printer is recognized.  I can print a test page.  Printing anything else has
failed 99% of the time.  The only relevant error I see in my cups error_log is:

cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.

The same setup worked on W2k and continues to work on a VMware W2k virtual
machine.  The relevant user has the same user name and password on both
machines.  Only printing is affected.  Both computers can see the shares of the
other.  The shares can be mounted, files transferred, etc.  This must be
something Vista-specific.  And, no, I can't explain why one or two jobs did
print.  I haven't posted about this issue before, because it doesn't really seem
to be a Fedora problem.

--
Joel