Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 59, Issue 250

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:07:00 +0000
> From: Anne Wilson <annew kde org>
> Subject: Re: Screen White-out
> To: kirk202 q com, "Community assistance, encouragement,	and advice
> 	for using Fedora." <fedora-list redhat com>
>
> On Thursday 29 January 2009 07:59:19 Kirk Ziegler wrote:
> > Clicked on Enable Desktop Effects and my screen went white.  I can see
> > the cursor.  I tried the rescue disk but it was no help.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be helpful.
> >
> That sounds like a plasma crash to me - possibly your video card and desktop
> effect don't get on, but we can address that separately.  Meanwhile, you need
> to get out of plasma and restart it.  The details are at
> http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/4.1#My_panel_is_gone.2C_how_do_I_get_it_back.3F
>
> (I know it's not the panel, but the method is the same.)  Basically, you need
> to run
>
> kquitapp plasma; rm $KDEHOME/share/config/plasma-appletsrc; plasma
>
> Sometimes you have to run each command separately.  Either way, a new login
> will recreate the necessary files, although you will have to re-configure them
> to what you want.  HTH
>
> BTW, the later the version you have and the less likely you are to see this.
> However, there is always the problem of video cards.
>
> Anne

Thanks for the suggestion Ann but all of the commands came up command
not found.   Being F10 may have something to do with not recognizing the
commands.  I'll just reinstall it as I've only used it a few days now
and won't loose anything but time involved.  I hope to eventually learn
enough to be helpful to this forum.

Kirk