F10 and Gnome - not root login

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:36:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> How about finding a python tarball and installing it. Just to get things
>> started.
>
> We have no idea what else failed to install properly.  There could be
> a hundred other packages that were suppose to install.
>
> He's already downloaded and burned a new iso which works. He's
> admitted he didn't media check the original disk he burned.
> Continuing to rely on any install using that media is simply put..a
> horrible idea.

A bad idea indeed. I only kept trying with this dvd to find the root cause of
the problem.
I did the media check and it was bad. The error said "The media which was
just tested has errors. This could be due to a corrupt download or bad disc..."
So, the moral of the story is (as Tim suggested) test the media at least once.
I have had bad media before that would not even start. But this one went on
all the way.
Is rather amusing how this "No root login" thing evolved to just a bad disc.
I apologize for not having had the patience to do a basic media check.

Thanks for your patience Jeff and everyone.
~af