F10 and Gnome - not root login

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 20:37:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Aldo Foot <lunixer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is rather amusing how this "No root login" thing evolved to just a bad disc.
> I apologize for not having had the patience to do a basic media check.

Hopefully Gene made the same mistake as Gene is the only other person
in this thread that confirmed this firstboot behavior.  I wonder how
many other people did what you did, and then assumed that Fedora was
broken and just moved on?

> Thanks for your patience Jeff and everyone.

Doing the diagnose was worthwhile, as it illustrates how bad media can
affect an the experience of the resulting install, even if the install
completes without error.  I'm going to use you as an example for
testing media for probably 2 or 3 releases.  Even if you got the
python problem fixed.. there could be many other packages.

Now there might be something that can be done to verify that the rpmdb
is self-consistent after the install is completed to catch the symptom
you ran into, but its not clear its worth implementing. A fresh
install should have a self-consistent rpmdb dependency map.

If python were installed, and you were having other weird issues I
would have had you install yum-utils package  and then do
package-cleanup --problems which would report a list of dep issues in
your rpmdb.  That would have given us a much more comprehensive
picture of how deeply your install was affected by the bad media.  But
we didn't even get that far..because that would require yum..which
requires python.

I might start doing that for myself as part of fresh install from media testing.

But that would not apply to upgrades done with the installer, as
upgrades are specifically allowed to break dep chains during the
install to accommodate 3rd party packages.

-jef