Re: IPv6 and localhost

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 07:33 -0800, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> The other silly thing is the "localhost.localdomain"
> entry coming first.  Really, what is that about???  "localhost" has
> worked just fine for over 2 decades.  Software understands it.  What
> advantage is there to rocking the boat?

Accommodating some things that insist you enter a hostname with at least
one dot in it.  It's been a long time since I've come across something
that did, though.  I seem to recall it was a mail client that insisted
that the mail server address must have a dot in it, and it wouldn't let
me continue configuration until it did.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.9-73.fc9.i686