Re: Need second opinion, is my HD failing?

Richard Shaw wrote:
Well it's a Seagate and is under warranty. I went ahead and paid the
$20 for the "Advanced Replacement" so I can get the replacement before
sending them the bad one. I downloaded both their bootable ISO and the
linux version of seatools. Interestingly the short test showed the
drive is good but the long test found an error.

Richard

Richard,

My second opinion is that your drive isn't failing. Before you send it back to Seagate, please take the time to read the following posts from Bryn Reeves:

* Understanding S.M.A.R.T. test results <https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-January/msg03397.html> * Interpreting raw and normalized S.M.A.R.T. values <https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-January/msg03405.html>

S.M.A.R.T. test results are a little confusing and often lead people to believe that a drive is failing even though it's perfectly fine. Your test result was good, because none of your drive's pre-fail attributes were below the threshold value. It's likely that if you ran Seagate's diagnostic tests on the drive they wouldn't find any problems. If there are any non-destructive tests, try running them before you go through the hassle of replacing the drive.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer