Advice from users of gParted ??

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 04:14:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 22:47 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 18:55 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> > Aldo Foot wrote:
> > > I have both the GParted LiveCD[1] and the SystemRescueCD[2]
> > > I have the tendency to use the SystemRescueCD because it starts out
> > > with a text CLI, which is helpful with some very old systems.
> > >

> > I usually use clonezilla-sysresccd because I need to clone partitions
> > pretty often.
> >
> > One thing though, these live CDs don't support ext4 just yet. For that,
> > I booted from Fedora live CD and ran "yum install gparted"
> > Everything after that is easy.
> >
> This looks like the solution I want.  One really dumb question (I
> haven't worked much with LiveCDs before).  If I boot from the F11 live
> CD and "yum install gparted", where does the gparted program get stored?
> On the Live CD? On my hard drive?

Neither. Live CDs don't touch your hard drive unless you want them to --
it may not even have a filesystem on it -- and the CD obviously can't be
written to (they're usually CDROMs), but the system runs from a
filesystem in memory, i.e. a ram disk. This means that anything you
install will be lost when you reboot, but for something like gparted you
don't really care once you have your partitioning set up.

poc