Network guru help sought please

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jul 3 23:37:41 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Since you are tracing the packets, you can look at the DNS request for
> mirrorlist and see what IP is being returned by your nameserver. I'm not
sure
> how you conclude that the mirrorlist "is not interpreted" whatever that
means,
> you must have gotten a valid IP from DNS, but the name is truncated or not
in
> DNS properly, or whatever. Run tcpdump with the -n option and see what IP
you
> get back.

Thanks for your response.
By "not interpreted" I meant that the packets all went to and from
fedoraproject.org , rather than any mirror.

I'll see what tcpdump -n tells me, as you suggest.
The main problem with tcpdump is that there are millions of packets
from the rest of the family using the same WiFi access point.

> I suspect your DNS, but please provide more information. Those lines work
here
> for FC{9,10,11} so I believe there's something broken at your end.

I'm sure you are right.
I tried changing the servers in /etc/resolv.conf ,
but that made no difference.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net