Network guru help sought please

David Christopher Chipman dchipman at ican.net
Fri Jul 3 23:55:58 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>

>> Since you are tracing the packets, you can look at the DNS request for
>> mirrorlist and see what IP is being returned by your nameserver. I'm not
>>
> sure
>
>> how you conclude that the mirrorlist "is not interpreted" whatever that
>>
> means,
>
>> you must have gotten a valid IP from DNS, but the name is truncated or not
>>
> in
>
>> DNS properly, or whatever. Run tcpdump with the -n option and see what IP
>>
> you
>
>> get back.
>>

> Thanks for your response.
> By "not interpreted" I meant that the packets all went to and from
> fedoraproject.org , rather than any mirror.
>
> I'll see what tcpdump -n tells me, as you suggest.
> The main problem with tcpdump is that there are millions of packets
> from the rest of the family using the same WiFi access point.
>

>> I suspect your DNS, but please provide more information. Those lines work
>>
> here
>
>> for FC{9,10,11} so I believe there's something broken at your end.
>>

> I'm sure you are right.
> I tried changing the servers in /etc/resolv.conf ,
> but that made no difference.

Hi Tim,

I know I'm just jumping in here, but could I suggest that you use
Wireshark, given your level of technical knowledge? it may be easier to
understand the packets when they are shown graphically, and not the
text-based tcpdump. BTW, you can use tcpdump and store the packets in a
file and have wireshark read te tcpdump file.