new disk layout

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Jul 4 17:15:58 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 23:14 +0700, muhammad panji wrote:
>> 2 G of swap is enough
>
> If you want to do suspend to disc, you need swap space at least as large
> as your RAM, as that's where it dumps a copy of memory to while
> suspending.

Let me clarify a tad, this is a bit more complex than that...

In suspend to disk, see the output of the 'free' command. The data in the
'buffers' and 'cached' need not be saved, the buffers are written to the
filesystem and the cached data are discarded. So the room you really need is the
swap in use plus the memory in use. And it gets more complex than that, because
the memory is compressed as it's written out (more for speed than size, in
practice), so it's really hard to guess how much swap will actually be used.

In practice I agree with you, because it's so hard to get it just right, that
it's easier to just match memory size. That's a bit of a waste on a large
system, where most of the memory is almost always in use for i/o rather than
program, but it's safe.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>