Fedora was wrong (I think) (was Re: "One or more disks are failing" ?)

Scott Beamer geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Jul 6 21:58:13 UTC 2009

Michael Schwendt spake thusly:

> Funnily, you posted a SMART report that shows the same values as before.

It does? The other one had much more output (didn't it?).

> A self-test that ended with a read failure. One sector that the drive has
> failed to reallocate/replace. Two sectors that have not been
> reallocated/replaced yet. Four reallocated sectors is not much of a
> threat, but you still need to observe that this value doesn't increase
> steadily.
>
>> http://bit.ly/hard-drive-is-in-fact-not-dying
> Why did you highlight the wrong lines?

They're not "wrong". I highlighted them to show stuff I felt was important.

>> Only Fedora had been raising the
>> alarm over the past month. :)
>
> To understand why a component raised the alarm you need to examine what
> values it looked at.

You're right. But I don't understand enough about this to know.
Meanwhile, I'm getting 3 new drives this week. And I'm taking the
computer into a shop to have them installed.  Since it's there, I'll
have them test this drive and if in fact it's failing (or they tell me
it's clearly headed in that direction) then I'll have them yank it.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
	Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com