Upgrade from FC6 to FC11

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Thu Jul 9 21:30:05 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Well, you could try upgrading it step by step, like FC6->F8->F10 and then to
> F12 when it comes out. Skipping more than one release at a time isn't really
> tested or supported, so it can cause problems. But keeping the ancient
> release forever isn't a solution either.

Are you saying that skipping one release is supported? (that is, is it supposed
to work?)

Because I have a couple of FC5 servers, and I could upgrade through
the odd releases 5->7->9->11.

It is not an easy decision.
- try to upgrade directly to F11? (even if something has to be fixed manually)
- try the 5,7,9,11 upgrade? (it will take a lot of time)
- leave them at FC5 (they have been handling terabytes of data for years with
zero issues, so why not? security is not a concern as it is a local and
trusted environment)

There is only one thing pushing me to upgrade: SMART is not supported
by FC5 on the SATA controllers I have and these machines are *file servers*.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it