Fedora 11: Switching to single user mode (runlevel 1) -- Hey g.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jul 12 07:03:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 23:38 -0400, David wrote:
> My 'problem' is with the 'not publish the Public Key' thinking.
>
> Can you explain his thinking on that?

I already did, two messages back:

"There are spammers which just leech new addresses off PGP (key) servers
as they arrive, and immediately spam you.  And if you had more than one
address on the key, they spam each of them.

"I removed some addresses from a key, and the next set of spam only
spammed the current set of addresses on the key.  That doubly proved the
point that some spammers regularly harvest the key servers.

"And since many different key servers talk to each other, it doesn't
help you by deliberately choosing to only upload your key to a
particular server."

i.e. Publish a key, and it immediately causes you to receive spam at any
and all addresses that key is associated with.

It's been that way for at least ten years, that I've observed.  And I
don't see it stopping.  It's as bad as putting your email address on
your website.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686