Network guru please help: baffled by missing file

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jul 17 14:34:40 UTC 2009

Didar Hossain wrote:

>> When I look at the http traffic on my server with wireshark
>> the file-request seems to be properly sent,
>> but the file is not found.
>>
>> The symptoms seem to me (no http expert) to suggest
>> that there is some condition for seeing this file
>> that my system is not fulfilling.
>>
>> Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

> It seems the specific server (209.132.176.122) is missing the file.
> You could try replacing
>
> mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-
released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch

> ... with ...
>
> mirrorlist=https://66.35.62.166/metalink?repo=updates-released-
f$releasever&arch=$basearch

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid I get the same response
with this IP address, eg
------------------------------------
[tim at elizabeth ~]$ wget --no-check-certificate https://66.35.62.166/metalink
--2009-07-17 15:14:19--  https://66.35.62.166/metalink
Connecting to 66.35.62.166:443... connected.
WARNING: certificate common name `*.fedoraproject.org' doesn't match
requested host name `66.35.62.166'.
2009-07-17 15:14:20 ERROR 404: Not Found.
------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure it is a problem on my system,
but I can't work out what it can be.
As I said, it is as though the fedoraproject site
runs some test to see if the files metalink or mirrorlist
should be seen by me, and for some reason my system fails the test.

Incidentally, I seem to have no problem if I substitute
my local repository, eg
baseurl=http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/updates/11/x86_64/
for fedora-updates .

--