Who decides on eth0, eth1, etc?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jul 19 12:30:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 14:03:41 +0100
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> At one stage the computer wanted to call the interface eth0_rename,
> I don't know why.

It is totally random and udev is making the decisions. You can sometimes
fool with /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and change things
in sync with changing the name of the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
script file, but I've got a virtual machine where something somewhere is using
up the name eth0 and no power on earth will let me name the actual
adapter eth0 (but I was finally able to get it to be eth1
instead of eth1_rename_ren :-).