F11: I keep losing audio

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Jul 19 14:07:55 UTC 2009

Rick Stevens-3 wrote:

> Before you log out and back in, fire up a terminal and check to see if
> pulseaudio is still running.  If it quits, your audio goes away.
>
> Assuming your login name is part of the "pulse-rt" group (if not, put
> it in there), you can try to restart pulse by doing:
>
> 	pulseaudio --start
>
> as the desktop user...NOT root.  See if your sound is back.

Rick,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your helpful message. At one point, audio
seemed to be working again. Right now, however, no sound. Earlier this
afternoon, banshee was playing OK, but for some reason audio simply stopped
working.

I tried exiting pulseaudio and restarting as you indicated. It appears to be
active. I can open Sound Preferences and see the apps that are using sound,
ie, Rhythmbox and/or Banshee and/or VLC. The programs themselves appear to
see the audio device and play without any error message.

I am quite sure it is not an inadvertently selected 'mute' box ;)

At this point, I am clueless. I have no idea what is crashing nor why. I
can't identify any kind of reproduceable pattern.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

-----
  Colin Brace