Linux "NULL pointer dereferece" in the News...

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jul 19 18:11:00 UTC 2009

On 07/19/2009 11:31 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 23:11:52 +0530
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> It is not so simple. This is not a compiler bug. I suggest you read
>> through http://lwn.net/Articles/341773/rss to understand why.
>
> I did. It is a compiler bug no matter what a bunch of language lawyer
> holier than thou compiler developers say :-).

The kernel developers claim it is a kernel bug and the compiler
developers claim it is not their bug and this everybody agrees with and
yet you don't agree with all of them? Who is being holier than thou here?

Kernel first dereferences a pointer, and after that checks whether it's
NULL.  It is quite common as a compiler optimization to compile out code
like this.

Rahul