Linux "NULL pointer dereferece" in the News...

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jul 19 19:12:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:49:42 -0700
Michael Eager wrote:

> OK, write a description of how to determine one case from the
> other and I'm sure every compiler developer will rush to implement it.

The fact that they already have a -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks option
in the compiler seems to demonstrate that they know they are doing
this specifically because it is undefined and they can do whatever
they want (including checking a compiler option to choose a different
thing to do). I guess thinking that the best choice is always
to do what the source code says makes me a member of a looney
minority though :-).