install F11 ON a USB-HDD

Daniel Kirsten Daniel.Kirsten at gmx.net
Mon Jul 20 13:13:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

I installed F11 on a USB-HDD.  I used a network-install-CD  and
allowed the installer to use the entire disk.  I did not change the
partition layout.   I installed the bootloader to the same USB-drive.

The installation seemed to be successful, but I cannot boot from
this USB-HDD.    WHen I turn on the computer, it reads a bit from the
USB-HDD, abd then it boots immediately from the built in HDD.

In general, I can boot from this USB-HDD, e.g.,  When I transfer a
LiveCD to the same USB-HDD, it boots.

fdisk /dev/sdc

produced the output:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 77825.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdc: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00065951

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 * 1 26 204800 83 Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdc2 26 77825 624924481 8e Linux LVM

Any idea?

(I posted the same issue on www.fedoraforum.org last week,
but I did not receive a meaningful response.)