install F11 ON a USB-HDD

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Mon Jul 20 13:45:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:13 AM, Daniel Kirsten<Daniel.Kirsten at gmx.net> wrote:
> The installation seemed to be successful, but I cannot boot from
> this USB-HDD.    WHen I turn on the computer, it reads a bit from the
> USB-HDD, abd then it boots immediately from the built in HDD.

I did this very same thing once, back with Fedora Core 4.  To get it
to work I had to make a custom initrd that had the USB storage drivers
on it.

I'm sorry, it's been so long that I don't remember much about how I did it.

However, if you boot on an internal drive, then mount your USB drive,
lsmod will tell you what modules you have loaded in your kernel.  The
ones having to do with USB and SCSI will be what you need.

Your initrd will also need a script to actually load the modules.
That might be taken care of by mkinitrd these days, but I don't think
it was back when I did this.

Sorry, I've been meaning for YEARS to write up a HOWTO on this very
thing, but just never got around to it.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote at dulcineatech.com
http://www.dulcineatech.com

   Dulcinea Technologies: Software of Elegance and Beauty.