F11 and PulseAudio

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Tue Jul 21 17:49:13 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 04:44:13 -0400
> From: bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: F11 and PulseAudio
>
> suvayu ali wrote:

>>> Thanx for the heads up.
>>> It turned out that even though doing yum install of these packages causes the pulseaudio rpms to be installed as dependencies, someone on this list clued me that some of the media packages have a config file (such as mplayer) where you set up the audio output device to something other than pulseaudio. Since I have set it to alsa, I no longer have the problem I reported: namely that pulseaudio daemon was chewing up to 35% of cpu wen audio was playing.
>>>

>> I understand the workaround makes things work for you. Everyone keeps
>> complaining about pulseaudio and always as a fix someone suggests a
>> workaround that effectively disables it, but wouldn't a bug report
>> help improve pulseaudio?
>>
>> Isn't the idea behind pulseaudio (multiple applications being able to
>> access the sound hardware simultaneously) a rather useful one? I would
>> think the community would welcome such a move and help further the
>> development rather than advocate opposition.
>>
>> I would report the problems if I had one. I have used pulseaudio
>> without a single problem so far both in F10 and F11. (except for the
>> inaudible default volume setting which was easily taken care of by
>> alsamixer) All I am trying to say is, a bug report would help rather
>> than disabling and forgetting about it.
>>
>> Just a thought ...
>>

> Perhaps everyone would be helped if there was a "signal flow"
> diagram showing how pulseaudio, alsa, and the computer audio card
> fit together? It would help me ... If such information exists please
> point me to it.
>
> I have had no trouble, usually sound just works on my computers
> after tweaking some levels, however it's not an issue since my need
> for computer sound is minimal.
>
> Bob
>

> --

As I had  indicated in my original post, my only problem was load factor.
Pulseaudio was taking upto 35% of my 2.2 GHz Athlon cpu. That's a gigantic load factor!! When combined with how firefox often consumes upto 98% of cpu, I am left with a dead system. There was not much I could do about firefox (3.5) other than perhaps stop using it. But I wanted to do away with pulseaudio, because I know I did not need it in my previous fedora installation (currently I am on F11).

Cheers,

MK