F11 and PulseAudio

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jul 21 18:19:25 UTC 2009

> Suvayu Ali wrote:

>> >  This might be help.
>> >  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Pulseaudio-diagram.svg
>> >
> Yes, that's an interesting diagram but it wants some explanation,
> preferably in English. Even so it helps ...

The single problem with pulse is not that it does not work, as it
clearly can work, but that it is a black box. There is no accessible
setup, there is no accessible testing mechanism, there is no accessibly
error message system. If it works, you are fine. If it does not work,
there is no feedback and no mechanism to help you fix it.

The documentation is risible as a meaningful attempt to explain how the
system works. It doesn't help matters that the 'authors' (who appear to
have been the coders) have decided to inflict their own semantics onto
the user. Source and output are descriptive but we get 'sinks' (What? No
'taps' or 'shower-heads'?).

And the conf file is not exactly user-friendly either.
My $0.02
G.