Vista Won't Boot From Grub Under F11

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jul 22 00:04:44 UTC 2009

rgheck wrote:

> I've just installed F11 on my wife's machine, which is some cheap
> Gateway thing. Everything is working fine except that Vista (I'm hoping
> to be able to get rid of it for her, but not yet...) will not boot from
> grub. It starts to boot, then dies and dumps me into the System Recovery
> thing. I was able to restore the MBR as Vista wants it to be, and then
> it would boot fine again, and so I can use the popup boot chooser either
> to boot Vista or to find my way into grub. But this is not really what I
> want. I'd rather just use grub.
>
> I've experimented there will various "root (hdx,y)" settings, but none
> of them allow me to boot Vista: Same thing happens.
>
> More info:
> * Vista is on the first hard drive.
> * There is a /boot partition on the second hard drive, which is also
> where F11 lives.
> * I've had to use acpi=off to get the keyboard and mouse to work (either
> USB or PS/2).
>
> There is something odd happening with the bios mappings. Although grub
> is on the second hard drive, I have to use (hd0,0) for the splash image
> and also for the "root" argument to get F11 to boot. Nonetheless, once
> F11 does boot, its own drive appears as /dev/sdb.
>
> The device.map nonetheless maps /dev/sda to (hd0) and /dev/sdb to (hd1).
>
> Any helpful ideas?
>
> Richard

Dumb question - did you install a new hard drive to install Linux
on, or change what drive the BIOS boots from?

It sounds like you are trying to boot Windows from a different drive
then it was installed on. If this is the case, Grub can be set up so
that windows thinks it is booting from the same drive it was
installed on.

The other possibility is that Vista and Windows 7 are checking the
boot loader, and complaining because it is not the Windows boot
loader. But this would be the first I have heard of it.

Mikkel