F10 automatic F10 upgrades to F11?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Jul 22 20:17:39 UTC 2009

Kam Leo wrote:
> [...]
>> F11 upgrade, I proceeded to start the update process.  After
>> entering root permission, the upgrade dialog window pops
>> and and starting "firing away" with the upgrade process:
>>
>>    "Upgrade your system"
>> "Preparing system for upgrade"
>>
>> + Download release info
>> + Download installer images
>> + Determine which packages to install
>> + Download packages
>> + Prepare and test upgrade
>> + Ready to begin upgrade
>>        [Reboot Now]
>> + Pressed the [Reboot Now] button
>>  On rebooting, it shutdown the services, rebooted,
>>  and grub starts kernel & runs Anaconda.
>> + X11 "Finding storage devices... dialogbox pops up
>> + X11 Passphrase dialog pops up.  Entered the encrypted disk
>>   password & checked the "This is a global passphrase" checkbox
>> + X11 "Retrieving installation information for installation repo..."
>>   dialogbox pops up
>> + "Checking dependencies in packages selected for installation..."
>>   & progressbar shows, takes awhile to complete...
>>
>> The progressbar got 1/3 of the way, and then suddenly X11 quits
>> and proceeds into text mode:
>> =============================
>> [TIME] Starting graphical installation...
>> install exited abnormally [1/1]
>> disabling swap...
>> [...]
>> unmounting filesystems...
>> [...]
>> you may safely reboot your system
>> [cursor]
>> =============================
>>
>> So, I had to power-cycle the PC to reboot.
>>
>> Grub shows:
>> ==========================
>>  Upgrade to Fedora 11 (Leonidas) *
>>  initng boot  *
>>  Fedora (2.6.27.25-170.2.72.fc10.i686)
>>  Windows 2000
>> ==========================
>> * = new additions due to the upgrade process.
>>
>> ====================================
>> I have gone through this about 5 times over the
>> course of several weeks, each time, resulting a
>> failed upgrade.  I can still boot into my F10 system,
>> nothing was lost or corrupted (as far as I can tell) and
>> the Upgrade repos still remain in the yum directories.
>>
>> Can someone tell me, what is going on, why is it
>> that Yum repeatedly does this from time to time
>> due to a normal F10 boot, yum F10 updates, and
>> occasionally popping up the upgrade process?
>>
>> Every time I think "it's gonna work this time..",
>> upgrades (from F10 to F11) *always* fails.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Dan
>>

> I stopped using Preupgrade after encountering the failure you
> described and where it could not locate the drives. You can upgrade
> with either the F11 DVD or net-install CD. The DVD might be the better
> choice if you have installed a lot of packages. The DVD installer lets
> you add additional repositories which results in fewer post install
> package updates. Do clean out the cached packages in /var if  you go

Well, that is interesting...

I downloaded the F11 net-install CD ISO, burned it onto CD,
placed the CD on my F10 PC, booted, selected "Install or Upgrade
Install", selected "upgrade", defined the network settings, and fired it
off, the net-install was able to use the fedora mirrors, checked for
dependencies/downloaded the files similarly as I have described
before, and guess what.

I am getting the same failure, just as before:
+ "Checking dependencies in packages selected for installation..."
& progressbar shows, takes awhile to complete...

The progressbar got 1/3 of the way, and then suddenly X11 quits
and proceeds into text mode:
[...]
install exited abnormally [1/1]
[...]
you may safely reboot your system
[cursor]

It is interesting that doing an upgrade on F10 & using net-install
CD upgrade seems to fail in almost exactly in the same way.

What is going on?

Dan