When will we ever have an upgrade with sound that just works ?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri Jul 24 17:36:36 UTC 2009

Hi;

In defence of everybody's position.

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:38 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I've been using Redhat/Fedora since RH8.
>
> It seems that every time we get a new version sound gets broken and I
> have to go through a whole complicated and convoluted troubleshooting
> sequence to get it running again.
>
> Wireless networking used to be like that and now it seems to work
> release after release.  When will sound get the same attention to detail
> that Wireless got ?

And, I remember when every printer setup was a painful loss of hours of
fiddling.

> Sound worked just fine in F8 and F10, after some fiddling, of course.
> Along comes F11 and I've got nothing, in spite of spending literally
> days mucking and fiddling around.  The pundits say that the problem is
> my complicated, unsupported sound card (Intel HDA), but it worked just
> fine in F8 and F10 and it hasn't changed since.  If it ran fine in F8
> and F10, why should it suddenly be OK to NOT run in F11 ?

 And, sound worked fine for me until a bought a new computer with PCIe
and an internal Intel sound card while in F10.  It will all get worked
out through the bugzilla process.  Just keep plugging away.

> The funny part of all this is the pulse audio component.  Pulse audio
> seems to be bug ridden.  There doesn't seem to be any real documentation
> for troubleshooting it.  And yet one gets chastised if one says they
> want to remove it and run without it.

>From reading the submitted bugs, google reports and postings here
PulseAudio often gets blamed for bugs that properly lie elsewhere. On
the other hand, the PulseAudio maintainers and gnome gui creators do
themselves no favours by refusing to write manuals that start at the
ground up for sound newbies who are trying to figure out what is going
on with their sound system.  How can someone confidently submit a bug
report with the proper data if they have no idea or have a confused
concept of what is happening on their machines?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3