When will we ever have an upgrade with sound that just works ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 18:14:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 19:04 +0100, Chris wrote:
> In the case of my problem, I could probably fix it if I could
> understand how the audio device config files work but there is very
> little documentation and the format is quite cryptic, so I've got very
> little to go on and have to hope that one day the ALSA guys will get
> around to looking at it.

+1!

I am totally lost as to how the chain of soundcard -> sc driver -> alsa
-> PulseAudio -> Phonon, various players + plugins works.

Every layer of software is a potential show stopper.  While I understand
obscuring details from the end user via encapsulation, I think this is
getting ridiculous.  Too much encapsulation makes troubleshooting very
difficult.  Is it an alsa or PulseAudio problem ?  Or the sound card
driver ?  Or the plug in ?

>  Also, it was working in F10 but not F11 so
> it's a regression.

My case too.