Evolution painfully slow

Mads Villadsen maxx at krakoa.dk
Fri Jul 24 18:58:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 10:10 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> Evolution (evolution-2.26.3-1.fc11.x86_64 running under Fedora-11) is
> painfully slow performing some actions.  In particular, I've been
> clearing out the the 1579 deleted messages in my Junk folder for the
> past hour.  The status (bottom) line has been displaying:
> 	Updating Search Folders for 'On This Computer:/phred' (...)
> during this whole time.  All data is local to my computer; no external
> servers, databases, etc.
>
> Has anyone else seen this or a similar problem?  Any ideas what's going
> on?

It does seem that Search Folder have gotten really slow lately. The only
option I have seen work so far is to delete all Search Folders.

Go to the bottom of the folder list, expand the one called "Search
Folders". Right click on all subfolders in there and choose Delete.
There will be one special Search Folder left that cannot be deleted
called "Unmatched". Don't worry about it - it doesn't appear to cause
any slowdown.

This is of course only a solution if you don't actually need Search
Folders (I had one left over from years ago when I actually used it).

Regards.
--
Mads Villadsen <maxx at krakoa.dk>