F12 networkmanager, anyone else worried by this?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 24 21:31:46 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 12:10 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> 3. The connection is always lost (in my case) after Suspend to RAM.
>
> This used to happen to me on F10, but doesn't on F11. The difference is
> in the Wifi driver, i.e. it's not a NetworkManager bug as such.

NM does not preserve Wifi connections over suspend, whether you think that's a
bug or not. On resume it often will remember to establish a connection, and
picks the "best" AP (not the one you were using) and tries to connect to that. I
don't know if it's picking the strongest signal, some unsecured signal it can
hijack, or how it determines which AP to use, but if the one you want is not the
strongest, or is encrypted, it better be the only signal.

And since NM is an afterthought, the network comes up and any VPN or NFS
connections are not remembered. I can power down the NFS server, move it to a
new rack, power it up, and the mount will still be there. But let me suspend to
walk to a conference room and it's all gone.

The design (I assume there was one) was aimed at a one user laptop booted from
cold, used in a home or hotspot, and shut down. The obvious things to make it
useful for other common scenarios aren't there. That's not bad design, it's
design for a limited set of use cases, which it handles quite well.

So the problem does not lie with a driver, the driver is not making the
decisions, NM is. And they are really not bad decisions for the limited use
envisioned, they are just totally out of touch with the way systems are used
today, particularly netbooks.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>