active network connection stops working...

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 23:07:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 16:05 -0500, charles zeitler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:08 PM, charles zeitler<cfzeitler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > using fedora11, after a while ( about 1.5 weeks on this computer )
> > my network connection stops working...
>
> thanks to the help offered, i have reduced
> the problem domain...
>
> manually inserting 'nameserver' 's in
> resolve.conf yields a working system,
> but i have no idea what causes the
> loss of dns in the first place...  so i'm
> not ready to call it a bug...

This is progress.

Do we know if the ISP is supposed to dynamically supply the name
servers?

I am not certain how the name servers should be set up in your
environment and have not had the tools to use ppp for a number of years.

Let us assume you should get the name server information from the ISP,
dynamically.

I am guessing, and again could be leading you on a wild goose chase,
but there might be two possibilities since you are using PPPoE.
1) You might use a configuration option in
   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0, namely "usepeerdns=yes"
   Please see "man pppoe.conf", and let me quote:
"
 USEPEERDNS
        If set to "yes", then pppoe-connect will supply  the  usepeerdns
        option  to  pppd, which causes it to obtain DNS server addresses
        from the peer and create a new  /etc/resolv.conf  file.   Other-
        wise,  pppoe-connect  will not supply this option, and pppd will
        not modify /etc/resolv.conf.
"

Alternatively, you might be able to put a "usepeerdns" option in
/etc/ppp/options.  Let me copy some information from "man pppd":
"
usepeerdns
        Ask the peer for up to 2 DNS server  addresses.   The  addresses
        supplied  by  the peer (if any) are passed to the /etc/ppp/ip-up
        script in the environment variables DNS1 and DNS2, and the envi-
        ronment variable USEPEERDNS will be set to 1.  In addition, pppd
        will create an /var/run/ppp/resolv.conf file containing  one  or
        two  nameserver lines with the address(es) supplied by the peer.
"

If you already have usepeerdns=yes
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0,
it is possible that option is being overridden.
Let me again quote from "man pppd":
"
OPTIONS FILES
 Options  can  be  taken  from  files as well as the command line.  Pppd
 reads  options  from   the   files   /etc/ppp/options,   ~/.ppprc   and
 /etc/ppp/options.ttyname  (in that order) before processing the options
 on the command line....
"

All of this is assuming the ISP will supply you with the name server
information dynamically.

If the ISP wants you to configure your name server information manually,
the question becomes, what changed /etc/resolv.conf and when and why.

Again, I don't have the means to test what I am saying.
I apologize if the above is inaccurate.