e2fsck -y wipe all my data

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 01:12:21 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 06:02 PM, g wrote:
> yordy wrote:
>

>> Any idea why is this? Or how can I restore all the data pre existing in that
>> partition?
>>

> in addition to link jd posted, from a terminal, run 'man e2fsck'.
>
> press '/' and type in '-y', press<enter>, press 'n' key twice to see
> what you did.
>
> after, read entire man for e2fsck to have a better understanding of how
> it works.
>
> before you run any command that you are not sure of, use 'man' to read
> up on operation.
>
> it has been said many times, 'man is your friend', and it can save you
> a lot of problems by knowing how commands work.

You also need to know that in the root dir of the partition
that got wiped out, you will find a directory called lost+found,
where ALL of your lost files are saved, albeit, not in a form you
can use nor make any sense out of.

If that dir is empty, well, or it does not exist, then I believe
the stuff is pretty much gone.

BUT (always a but), look at those links I sent. There is some
software that can help you if you know what you are doing.

Cheers,

JD