Why Fedora is for experts only?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Jul 25 02:25:44 UTC 2009

On 07/24/2009 06:29 PM, gilpel at altern.org wrote
<snip>
> I'm trying to figure out what our great experts would lose if there was a
> pause for choosing the kernel. If they don't like this setting, they
> wouldn't have to use vi, just the Administration menu. All it takes is a
> few seconds and, thereafter, they would never have to suffer a pause when
> they reboot every six month.
>
> What's the name of the guy responsible for this mess? Can you imagine
> proselytizing Mac users and having to make sure they understand they will
> have to change a default setting, otherwise, they may be locked out of
> their system?

Even better are the stupid messes where there is NO default setting to
change. Google 'kstartupconfig4 error 3' No-one, and I mean no-one knows
what causes this, or how to fix it. (Well, if there IS a 'great expert'
who knows this, he's not talking). And what happens when you get this
error? You cannot log in as a normal user.

So I've been forced to log in as root for well over a month now on this
laptop. (Quick! Get the smelling salts! A grey-bearded pony-tailed guru
  just fainted with an attack of the vapours!)
And the problem has existed since I "upgraded" to F11...I suspect it has
something to do with the fact that the /home partition was retained from
F10 and that the chcon context might have something to do with it, but
then, like pulseaudio, chcon has entirely too minimal a set of
documentation. And I didn't even know chcon existed until a week ago,
when it turned up as the possible source/answer to a completely
different question about httpd.

It is the lack of documentation which makes Fedora (and Mandriva, and
Ubuntu) an OS for experts only.....

Geoff