What the hell are these dirs?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 00:00:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 4:30 PM, g<geleem at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
>
>> That won't work - there are too many files.
>
> maybe you need to write a script to delete them.
>
> using something like;
>
>  cd /home/ranbir/.cache/gnome-mplayer/plugin
>  find . -type f -name '*' -exec rm -f {} \;

Sorry, I might be missing something, but what is wrong with cd'ing to
/home/ranbir/.cache/gnome-player
and doing rm-rf plugin
and then re-creating it (mkdir plugin)?

And by the way, this thread reminded me of one of OS/2's annoyances
vs. WinNT at the time I was an os/2 advocate... I don't know how they
do it but in NT OSs you can just RMDIR /s/q {dirname} and it's
blazingly fast, whereas in os/2 the deltree command insisted on
traversing the whole tree recursively and apparently doing hundreds of
individual file deletions. The difference was obvious.... in one you
got the cursor back almost instantly and in OS/2 the HD led blinked
like crazy.

<.strike>Time to look at the NT source code I guess?<./strike>. ;-) I
wonder if there's a win32 api for "folder delete"?....

But I digress....
FC