F11 Sound without PulseAudio ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Jul 26 00:15:40 UTC 2009

Chris wrote:
> 2009/7/24 Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>:
>> Anyone who reads this list will know I despise PA totally, but vlc has
>> worked fine for me  using PA, in FC11, in FC11 running in a VM under FC9 KVM
>> (from cli) and in FC9.
>
> Hi Bill. There was a discussion on this list a couple of hours ago in
> which someone rightly pointed out that PA gets a lot of undeserved
> flak for issues which aren't actually its fault - not to say that it
> doesn't have issues of course! It's often the case that disabling or
> uninstalling PA causes sound to start working which naturally makes
> one think that PA was at fault, but there are other layers involved in
> the confusing world of Linux audio.
>
> Anyway, other than defending PA which is clearly not perfect as yet,
> I'd like to try to be helpful! You say that VLC works whilst other
> applications do not. Am I right to assume that PA is running whilst
> VLC is working? If that's the case then PA is unlikely to be the cause
> of your audio problems. Certainly for me, if PA is running, no sound
> works at all but I know this is because of a misconfiguration with my
> audio card that I don't know how to fix.

No, on the machine with vlc PA works fine for two channel output, with vlc,
xine, mplayer, mpg321, audacity, etc. I was making the point that removing PA
has not been required on that machine. If PA has a menu to enable 4ch, 5.1ch,
etc I've never found it, but just two channels work fine (not as loud as they
should be but I've only got the five basic mixers and volume controls installed).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>