Vista Won't Boot From Grub Under F11

James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 26 13:32:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 18:53 -0400, rgheck wrote:
> I've just installed F11 on my wife's machine, which is some cheap
> Gateway thing. Everything is working fine except that Vista (I'm hoping
> to be able to get rid of it for her, but not yet...) will not boot from
> grub. It starts to boot, then dies and dumps me into the System Recovery
> thing. I was able to restore the MBR as Vista wants it to be, and then
> it would boot fine again, and so I can use the popup boot chooser either
> to boot Vista or to find my way into grub. But this is not really what I
> want. I'd rather just use grub.

No easy fix on offer, but I have got a setup which will boot into Vista
or F11 using Grub. It worked the same with F10, too. The way I did it
(very unsophisticated!) was to make a partition using half of the (only)
hard drive and install Vista on that and then install Fedora into the
remaining free space. The default options gave me a small /boot
partition and all the rest for a lvm setup. It just worked!

With two hard drives, I think you may have to put /boot on the first but
Fedora can go on the second.
--
James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>