From the top... how do I get sound working in F11 ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 26 22:58:37 UTC 2009

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it can get complicated, especially if you have several sound
>> cards, and you want to direct different sources to different cards.
>> But I think the flexibility is worth it.
>>
> If this was optional I might agree, but the assumption that the standard
> sound config should use seven sound tools and two config files when the
> typical user has been playing one source to two speakers since
> 1.2.13/oss days is divorced from reality.

Well, if you don't want it, you can turn it off on a per user basis
by un-checking one check box, unless you set it up as system wide
service, instead of hte default per user server.

The thing is, the typical user wants to do a lot more then that now
days. Things like a video from a web site in a web browser, an alert
when they get an IM, new mail, or an incoming call. Or they may be
playing an incoming audio stream. There are users who have surround
sound or digital output connected. Then you have the people that
that want to redirect the audio from one computer over the network
to another computer.

Sound usage is changing, and the software is changing to meet the
new demands. All the arguments and complaints reminds me of the
change to udev. I heard a lot of the same complaints.

Mikkel