'Splain please re: mixer, alsa, pulseaudio and tvtime??

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 27 15:15:14 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 04:42:57 -0400, William wrote:
>>
>>> I have external receptacles on my motherboard at the back of my computer
>>> box -- one light green for incoming sound, and one light red (pink) for
>>> a microphone.  Double checked visually and in my motherboard manual.
>>>
>>> *However* my tv tuner card has no sound output receptacle, did not come
>>> with a line to use as an external connection line and shows no external
>>> hookups in its manual.
>> Yes, it's a known fact by now. Nobody asks you to put a cable where
>> you *cannot* put a cable. ;-) The remaining problem, however, is that
>> there must be a theory about how your tv card "produces" audio then?
>>
> I suspect that there is a device in /dev that you read to get the
> sound, and pass it to the sound hardware. Maybe more then one if the
> card produces both analog and digital sound output, and/or has an FM
> tuner.

That is commonly the case, and I have been told that the only common application
able to do the digital is mythtv (that was FC9 info, may no longer be the case).
I highly commend trying vlc first, it is less complex to get working than
mythtv. Yes, damned by faint praise.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>