[Slightly OT] Re: Ranter or evangelist?

gilpel at altern.org gilpel at altern.org
Tue Jul 28 04:26:11 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> I have never said it is great. Just that it works for me. You fail to
understand that Fedora cannot include the gstreamer codecs or mplayer
due to legal and not technical reasons.

Let's see. Totem uses the gstreamer codecs and Totem is included in
Fedora. When you include rpmfusion to get software, you get the gstreamer
codecs that don't work at radio-canada and, who knows, maybe on any asx
file.

Tim replied that asx files were needed in pages where the video is
embedded. You didn't answer Tim.

Quote:

> They don't seem to supply a WMV file directly instead providing some
> javascript based tricks. There are many instances like these which are
> the fault of web developers relying on IE specific things.

Tim's answer:

It's typical to use an indirect referrer, of some sort, rather than a
direct file, as it allows streaming media in the background, or even the
foreground, while the current page still shows.

So, maybe it would be better to include Gnome MPlayer. Then, when people
would go to rpmfind, they would get the MPlayer codecs and plugins for
Firefox.

If I got anything wrong, I will be pleased to be corrected.