Q about alsamixer:CD

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Tue Jul 28 18:21:04 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Mike Wright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I too have been struggling with sound but am making some progress.  One
>> question that remains after years of fedora:
>>
>>   In the alsamixer applet one of the available input controls available
>> under preferences is CD.
>>
>> My CD has *always* been controlled by the PCM input control.  I've
>> connected the separate cable from the drive to the motherboard with no
>> effect.  (It seems that the audio cable is useless, too?)
>>
>> So here's the 50cent question.  Just what does the CD input control?
>>
>> Inquiring minds want to know ;/
>>
> It controls the input labeled on CD on the sound card. This will
> only produce output if you have the analog audio cable between the
> CD-ROM drive and the sound card. The reason you use the PCM input to
> control the CD volume is because the player is getting the data from
> the drive over the (S)IDE interface, and feeding the digital data to
> the PCM input of the sound card.

Thanks for the reply, Mikkel.

I just tested that setup.  Make sure audio cable is in place; attach kb
volume controls to CD; play CD; test CD volume control on alsamixer;
test kb volume controls:  no effect.

To make sure I rebooted and checked BIOS controls for sound (none).  I
guess it's possible the m/b CD input and/or the audio cable is broken.

But at least I've found a viable means of controlling sound so I'm a
happy camper now.

:m)