I don't understand CUPS any more

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jul 28 20:52:23 UTC 2009

Tim Waugh wrote:

>> I'm trying to set up a printer attached to machine A
>> so that I can print from laptop B.
> [...]
>> Both A and B are running Fedora-11.
>
> The way this is meant to work is:
>
> 1. On machine A, set 'Share printers connected to this system', either
> using System->Administration->Printing or with the CUPS web interface
>
> 2. On laptop B, adjust the firewall so that IPP UDP packets are allowed
> in.
>
> 3. On machine A, plug in the printer.
>
> The queue is automatically created and shared.
>
> You can do things in a different order, it just might take more time for
> the queue to show up on the laptop.

Thanks for the response.

I did have the firewalls on both machines properly set,
with port 9100 (TCP and UDP) added.
Now I've disabled the firewall on both machines.
The printer was set as sharing on both machines.

I'm wondering if I have caused some confusion
by install hplip on machine A,
and running hp-setup there?

I'm not at all clear of the relation (if any) between hplip and CUPS?

I like hplip because it recongized my Laserjet 5L,
and claims it can clean the print-head.
(I'm slightly sceptical of this claim ...)

But I'm thinking of removing CUPS and hplip, and starting from scratch.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net