Fedora 11 installation on Thinkpad X31- Unstable tsc

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 15:40:30 UTC 2009

Nguyen Duy Phuong wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Sorry don't understand vanilla kernel. X31 deso
> not have cd rom and does not support booting from usb flash drive,
> only usb diskette and usb cd rom, both I don't have. I have XP already
> installed. I copied the vmlinuz0 and initrd from F11 LiveCD iso to
> C:/boot, the grldr and menu.lst from Grub for Dos 0.4.4 to C:/boot and
> C:/boot/grub correspondingly. boot.ini and menu.lst were revised a
> little bit as usual and then I rebooted. Got stuck at unstable tsc as
> described. If the liveCD does not support my laptop will the full
> version (will buy external cd rom if necessary though not preferrably.
> BTW could not find full version of F11) or another distro like ubuntu,
> suse etc. work?

I'm wondering if your system has issues
like what most mac's do, i.g. booting a system
through usb/ieee1394 is a bit tricky.

In your case you would have to install the .iso
to the usb stick(and make it bootable) before doing any
kind of install. Doing a quick google resulted in nothing
for me, but there is a tutorial out there that deals with setting up the
certain files to the usb, so that  the bios can see the drive as a bootable
system, so you'll be able to boot.

Justin P. Mattock