Graphics card recommendation?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jun 26 16:15:27 UTC 2009

john wendel wrote:
> On 06/24/2009 03:04 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Tom Horsley wrote:
>>> Certainly with the advent of the DRI2 utter and complete rewrite
>>> of 3d support in the server, everyone is either giving up or
>>> taking a long time to cath up (it is never clear which :-).
>>>
>>> As near as I can tell, the only option for getting even a little
>>> above par 3d at the moment is nvidia using the nvidia binary
>>> drivers.
>>
>> This is bullshit. Intel integrated graphics (except the GMA 500) just
>> work.
>> Non-HD Radeons just work too.
>>
>>          Kevin Kofler
>>

> Actually, your post is bullshit. Have you ever tried playing HD video on
> an Intel chipset? It just works if your definition of "works" is "looks
> like glitchy shit". Adding an Nvidia card fixed my video problems.

Both the Intel and Radeon drivers seem pretty leisurely. Bringing up images in
800x600 using gimp, or eog, is like watching sand painting. glxgears runs at
100-200 fps. I don't normally watch a lot of HD video, and what I have (usually
640x480 24fps) seems acceptable if not optimal, I'm not a gamer so I don't care
about fancy graphics, but this is pathetic. I dual boot FC6 and F11, and the
difference is huge. Maybe rpmfusion will offer a downgrade to working video again.

This server on FC6 1450 fps w/ glxgears, on F11 ~220. Watching "about this
computer" resources jumps instead of scrolling, as if the changes were saved for
2sec or so and the last image displayed. Not the kernel, if I "ssh -X" in from a
FC6 system it's nice and smooth.

As noted, I'm not a gamer, but I wouldn't claim F11 "justs works" but rather
"doesn't crash." That's about all I can say in favor of it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>